Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Interview with lolita Damien

I asked Damien to tell me a little more about himself and Lolita and a lovely story came out of that!


What is your name and how old are you?
My name is Damiën and I'm 24 years old.

Can you tell my readers something about what lolita is?
Lolita is a Japanese street fashion inspired primarily by the clothing and general aesthetics of the Rococo and Victorian periods. This fashion movement started in Japan in the 1980’s and has evolved greatly since.

Do you have a lolita character and what is his/her name?
I don't have a lolita character. When I wear lolita I'm just being myself.
So, I'm still called Damiën, while in lolita or not.

What does lolita mean to you?
For me lolita isn't only about the fashion either, but it has changed me in so many ways. Much more than I could have ever imagined. Lolita made me come out of my shell more, and I have met the most amazing people thanks to this fashion style. I can't imagine my life without my friends, and I hope we will be friends for a very long time, even when we don't wear lolita anymore. I have gotten more self-esteem and more secure about myself due to lolita. As for lolita itself, I fell in love with the details, the frills and design of the dresses. Not looking like any random teenager, but wearing a more unique fashion style. You can show elegance, beauty and class in gothic lolita, or, look very cute, playful and colorful in sweet lolita. And I also feel comfortable while wearing it ♥ I wouldn't want to miss this for anything in the world!

Where do you think lolita is heading?
I'm not sure, but the styles have become more over the top than it used to be in the beginning. When I started with this fashion style nobody was wearing any wigs, and every style looked much more toned down than it is now. Now a lot of people are wearing wigs with their lolita outfits and most outfits aren't toned down anymore.

What got you into lolita originally?
I came across the lolita fashion at the time I dicovered manga and ball jointed dolls. I fell in love with the clothing because it was cute and not a regular fashionstyle. I always loved to dress differently from most of the people and I felt this was the perfect style for me because I loved how the dresses looked with all the frills and bows on it.

What inspires your costumes, do you make them yourself and how long does it take to create them?
I don't make my outfits myself. I buy them from stores or I commission an outfit. How long a commission will take to finish depends on the design and if the designer isn't too busy. My lolita friends are the ones who inspire me the most, because everyone has their own style, and always look incredible.

Do you see a difference between the lolita culture in the Netherlands and the rest of the world?
I myself haven't seen big differences between the Netherlands and the rest of the world.

Is there anything else you would like our readers to know about you or lolita?
Don't let anyone hold you back from wearing this wonderful fashionstyle. Everyone is able to wear it, boy, girl, short or tall. If I can do it, everyone can. It's a great way to express yourself and be creative with coordinating an outfit. So, let's be creative together!



Thank you Damien for taking the time to do this interview.



1 comment: